#bethegeneration – HIV testing
Free HIV testing is available at The Center everyday, Monday through Saturday. The Center offers the Rapid Test, which is administered orally. Testing is offered Monday-Friday from 9am to 8pm (last test at 7pm); and Saturday from 10am to 4pm (last test at 3pm). For more information or to make an appointment, call 619.692.2077. Walk-ins are always welcome.
All who test at The Center will receive a gift card while supplies last.
#bethegeneration – Reasons to Take Action
In 2014, The San Diego LGBT Community Center launched the groundbreaking #bethegeneration campaign as an aggressive and strategic effort to end new HIV transmissions in San Diego in the next ten years.
The #bethegeneration campaign was prompted by the most clear and compelling medical evidence to date, which indicated that PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) and PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) medications can be extremely effective in preventing
This game-changing information offers us a much-needed new opportunity to stop HIV as an epidemic — and we must act on it.
The reality is that there are still 50,000 new HIV infections every year in the United States. Too many of those infections disproportionally impact the LGBT community.
We can change this!
When both the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization reported that use of PrEP and PEP medications can decrease a person’s HIV risk by up to 92 percent, we knew it was time for new and bold action.
While we studied the new medical information, we explored all the ways our HIV prevention efforts could be enhanced. Consequently, we came to the conclusion that with the determination and commitment of our community, we can #bethegeneration that ends HIV as an epidemic.
And this campaign became a reality.
#bethegeneration – The Campaign
The primary goal of the #bethegeneration campaign is to reduce the number of new cases of HIV in San Diego to zero by 2024.
To accomplish this, the #bethegeneration campaign will work to:
- Stop the fear and stigma still too often associated with being HIV positive, which prevents people from testing and seeking treatment
- Educate all San Diegans about the full range of medical treatment options now available to prevent HIV infection, including PrEP and PEP medications
- Educate medical providers to make routine opt-out HIV testing more available
- Help those living with HIV to receive the medical care and medicines needed to keep viral loads down so they are able to live long, healthy lives – and are less likely to transmit the virus
- Advocate for public policies that give all people at risk for HIV full access to medical options to prevent and treat HIV
- Strengthen HIV prevention and education efforts, including routine, easier access to PrEP and condoms, so that people can manage their sexual health without fear or shame
The #bethegeneration t-shirt!
Love the fabulous #bethegeneration t-shirt everyone is rocking? You can get one of your very own, with a minimum $20 donation to the #bethegeneration campaign. Just donate through the website and note your t-shirt size in the comments box.
#bethegeneration – Support
Please consider making a gift in support of the #bethegeneration campaign to ensure that The Center can dedicate as much of its programming and staff resources as possible to this effort.
Right now, too few people in our community are even aware of the revolutionary opportunities available to prevent and treat HIV. Your contribution can change that.
To donate to the #bethegeneration campaign, visit events.thecentersd.org/bethegeneration. Thank you in advance for joining this effort and being part of ending this epidemic.